Here’s what I recommended to a friend visiting San Francisco for a day -
- Visit the Ghirardeli factory – they’re an institution, renowned for their ice-creams. Pick up the 80% cocoa dark chocolate. Recommended time evening around 7ish.
- Visit Pier 29 – Take a boat to Alcatraz (the kala pani prison like Andaman NIcobar wala). Take the audio tour there. Recommended time 10ish. Very touristy thing to do.
- Visit Fisherman’s Wharf – again a very touristy thing to do.
- Take a ferry to Sausalito – tourist town, very scenic. It’s a half-day affair, so do at your risk.
- Visit the Embarcadero – (a boarding point for the Sausalito Ferry). Scenic area, right by the ocean. Also a boarding point for the Street Car. Again very touristy.
- Take a cable car. Must must do.
- Visit the crooked street (Lombard st.) – overrated.
- Visit the Twin Peaks at late evening to get a raat wala marine drive kinda view of the entire SF city. Only difference is it is top of a hill and you can see pretty much the entire SF.
- Visit the Golden gate bridge, drive to the other side and go all way up the Marin Headlands. Must must do.
- Take the 49 mile scenic drive which will take you through most of the above stuff - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/49-Mile_Scenic_Drive
If you have more than one day to spend there in the bay area, do SF for one day and the next day drive down to Yosemite. You’ll thank me. Nature and beauty at the best I’ve seen so far in my life.