Have you heard about Gartner’s Hype Cycle? Since 1995, Gartner has used Hype Cycles to characterize the over-enthusiasm or “hype” and subsequent disappointment that typically happens with the introduction of new technologies.
The five stages of a hype cycle are –
- Technology Trigger = “product launch”
- Peak of Inflated Expectations = “height of buzz”
- Trough of Disillusionment = “this is harder than I thought”
- Slope of Enlightenment = “the broad market is finally ready”
- Plateau of Productivity = “better have my next product ready.”