While searching for some numbers related to mobile usage in India, I came across these figures:
- In aug 2006, India had 123 million mobile subscribers, 37 million internet users and 1.7 million broadband users.
- Indian population owning a mobile phone: 8 %
- Average new mobile phone connections per month: around 3 million and growing
- Indian Idol got more than 55 million votes via SMS between Nov 04 to Mar 05. At Rs 3 per SMS, that is Rs 16.5 crore (Rs 165 million). The telecom companies made Rs 11.5 crore (Rs 115 million), and Sony about Rs 5 crore (Rs 50 million).
- Radio Mirchi gets 40,000-45,000 SMSes a day.
- Indian music industry got about Rs 140 crore (Rs 1.40 billion) or 20% of its legitimate revenues from mobile music in 2005.
- A hit film can generate Rs 1-1.2 crore – about 5% of an album’s sale on mobile revenues.
- Number of prayers sent by text message to Shree Siddhivinayak temple in Mumbai: more than 10,000 SMS within a week of start of SMS prayer service
The above numbers show the maginitude of SMS culture in India.